In Maori it means hello. The bulging eyes and tongue is part of the Kapa Haka (Maori war dance), designed to distract and intimidate the enemy. Taken at Yerba Buena Gardens from today's street shooting trip.
Dave was at the show too. Check his for a different view.
Posted 2005.08.05 2156 | 10 comments | 3413411 visitors
- Looks very Hawaiian / Samoian - weird how these cultures are so far apart but do things so similar. Love the tongue!
jamie @ 2005.08.06 0001
- Fine shot of a warrior. You have caught much of the intensity of the Haka.
Rock @ 2005.08.06 0728
- Great shot! I like the two different views that you and Dave have.
Paul @ 2005.08.06 0753
Thx Jamie! The tongue got me too.
Thx Rock! I agree, lots of power and intesity through the entire performance.
Thx Paul! I actually wish I got a full-on front view like Dave's.
Mike @ 2005.08.06 1108
- This guy definitely had the biggest tongue of the group. Oh...BTW, I found something on CL for you. I'll send you an email now.
David Kapp @ 2005.08.06 1307
- Thx Dave! Oh cool, thx for the heads up.
Mike @ 2005.08.06 1759
- Great capture!
Mike, I thought you are done with buying gear ;)
O b e l i x @ 2005.08.07 0711
- Thx Anand! Don't worry, it's just a battery.
Mike @ 2005.08.07 1838
- The tongue.. wow. That is really interesting! good work in capturing the bulding eyes and that huge tongue - that's really make this photo special.
genedavinci @ 2005.08.07 1915
- Thx Gene! Yes, very impressive tongue =)
Mike @ 2005.08.08 1516
[ expand ]